Ovington Village History

Ovington stands about 1+ miles to the north east of Watton. The Village consists of about 1500 acres, with a population of 200. There are traces of a Roman encampment on Ovington common to the north of the village and urns and Roman coins have been unearthed in the village.


Ancient earthworks in the village are know variously as Dane’s Graves and High Banks and at the latter, in 1838, seven enamelled horse bronzes were discovered.Its name has been spelt variously as Offingaston, Uvytone, Eaffington, Oviton and Offington, which mean that it derived its name form being a “town of pasture lying by the water”. It could also be that it was the settlement of the descendants of Uffa or Offa. In the 17th century it was pronounced Overton by the inhabitants.The Knights Templar of the Commandery of Kerbrooke had lands here in 1221.


This was an extremely wealthy local organisation and it was estimated that 10% of all the wealth in England passed through Carbrooke (Kerbrooke) at that time.

 



 



Ovington area from 1790 map.


The common land shown was soon to be enclosed. Note that the famous bends seem unchanged from this map! However, the road north form the village follows the track to Church DoorWater End Farm and joins the "main" road a mile further.

Also that very few properties exist. Later maps show the existence of one of the two post mills that were situated off the Street and Carbrooke Road, a mile further on,



Right - The Church door Ovington Parish Church








Below - The Crown Inn before it was rendered over.. It is of brick and flint construction and was rebuilt by a consortium about 1850.



Note the stable front door which is still remembered by some villagers and the barrels by the tree on the left. The cellar access door was on the right side of the house. The Crescent Estate was built on land belonging to the property. From a water colour by an unknown artist.

 


The Crown Inn

Burial Registers

The Burial Register records are available here. They date from 1813 to 2000.

Burial register 1813-1899
Burial Register 1900-2000

Buy the Village History

The Wayland Heritage project has reached the end of its three-year research and writing exercise with the launch of books outlining the history of the 13 Wayland villages. Rod has researched and written the Ovington version, and if you are interested in your Village history, copies of the attractively bound book with accompanying DVD will be available for sale in the very near future at a cost of £6.00.

Proceeds from the sale will assist in financing further copies. Rod explains, since the launch of the book several more interesting facts and stories have come to light, which may lead to either a volume two, or a reprint of the original, some time in the future. Should you wish to pre-order a copy then contact Rod at 31 The Street. 882246 or call in at the Wayland Partnership, Wayland House, High Street. Watton.